Thursday, August 20, 2009

Chillaxin on the Big Island

Well, we were supposed to have closed on our deal to purchase the Big Island Running Company by now, but some unique complications are delaying things. In the meantime, I have been making the most of my unemployment.

I arrived on the Big Island on Friday, August 14 after a three-day road trip from Chicago to Los Angeles. I spent my first five nights at the Kona Seaside Hotel. It's a nice enough place if you're looking for an affordable place to stay in the heart of Kona (which I was). Its two-star rating is probably about right.

On Wednesday, I was able to move into my new abode. I rented a two bedroom condo that's in the south end of Kailua-Kona at Keauhou. (Yes, I've got an extra room for guests, so start making your reservations now; of course that room is probably also going to be for extra stock from the store, so you can't be afraid to sleep in a room with a bunch of shoes.) It seems like it's going to be a good place. It's really quiet and scenic. My only complaint is that it is woefully under air conditioned, which I didn't notice until I had moved in, but that shouldn't be a problem for long.

Here's a view from the lanai:

And here is sunset from the lanai:

My new roommate:

I've been reasonably busy getting my new home set up and trying to do as much as I can to get the new business setup (vendor contacts, etc.), but I've also found plenty of time to relax and explore the Big Island. I spent one day pretty much driving the perimeter of the island, which was a great adventure but a lot of ground to cover in one day. I'll leave you for now with two pictures from my trip to Punalu'u Black Sand Beach:


1 comment: