Thursday, February 4, 2010

Peaman Splish Splash and Super Bowl Shuffle Biathlon

*Special thanks again to Jim Tilley for the great race photos!

Sunday, January 31 marked the first Peaman event of 2010 - the Splish Splash and Super Bowl Shuffle Biathlon. The swim was 1/2 mile and the run was 3.1 miles. My goal this time around was to do better on the swim than I did in December, since it was the same distance. The run was a little shorter, so I knew I wouldn't be able to make up as much time there.

It seemed like quite a few more people were in town for this Peaman event, so the start of the swim was a little rough. I think I swallowed a couple gallons of salt water and at one point thought about throwing in the towel. I just couldn't get into a good breathing rhythm at all. But I stuck it out and eventually the crowd thinned out a bit. I made it out to the buoy in about 10 minutes and 30 seconds, much better than my usual times, but definitely on the slow side considering the leading swimmers finished the whole course in about 14 minutes. I think I also managed to swim a little straighter this time around, which I'm sure helped. I made it back to the pier right under 22 minutes, a couple minutes faster than last time. Success!

I ran up the stairs and tagged Jason who was running a relay leg off of my swim. He took off while I headed to get my shorts and shoes on. After about a minute or so, I was off on the run. I think that swim took a lot out of me, since the run definitely seemed much harder. I was still able to keep up a pretty good pace, though, finishing the run in just under 24 minutes for a total time of 47:01. I just wish I had known that only 2 more seconds faster and I would have been under 47 minutes! Jason must have been keeping better track of his time, though, because he just managed to squeeze our relay in under 41 minutes (at 40:58), putting us in fourth place. Full results are available here.

After the race, we hung out for the post-race festivities and chatted with the Big Island Honda Team, who had Korey Pulluaim completing the full event and Ray Whitford, Marty Barger, and Keola Wimbish running the 5K as a relay off of Korey's swim. All four finished with impressive times and are really getting into their racing season.

This event honored two new inductees to Peaman's Hall of Fame - Brown Bear Haspe and his late wife Sunny. Peaman made a touching tribute to the couple and illustrated how Sunny's attitude and spirit will continue on through the Peaman events and by recognition on the Peaman t-shirts. Peaman also introduced 2009's Peaman biathlon series points cham-peans Tom Finney and Kelsie Graboyes, who each competed in eight Peaman events in 2009.


Following those recognitions, Peaman awarded raffle prizes from his big box of toys and goodies. I was lucky enough to win some swim goggles and Jason won a 2010 UH Calendar. It was a great event, as always. Next up is the Terrific Turtle Trudge, Mighty Mouse Scamper and Road Runner 1-Mile Romp on February 21. That one's only a run and I can definitely say I'm looking forward to a little break from the swimming!



No comments:

Post a Comment