Thursday, July 14, 2011

Swimming v. Running


Many of you may know that I've tried picking up swimming in the last year and a half. To say it's been challenging is probably an understatement. There's just something about swimming that is not intuitive to me. I can do it and won't drown, but don't count on me to go fast. I'll blame it on the fact that I didn't really swim growing up.

But summertime is a time for swimming on the Big Island. After skipping out on all the races last summer and this year's Cinco de Mayo swim, I decided to bite the bullet and try out the Hapuna Roughwater Swim on July 3 and then followed it up with King's Swim at Kailua Pier on July 9. The Hapuna swim was great - beautiful day, calm ocean conditions, clear water. I also was able to stay out of people's way and find some feet to swim with. I was hoping to finish under 40 minutes and ended up surprising myself and finishing in 30:26 (still well towards the back of the pack, though).

Of course, all the kids on the Big Island are born with fins and gills, so they were all at the front of the swim. Here are some of the winners:

Makena Becker

Marissa Bryant-Manago

Full results from the Hapuna swim are here. Mahalo to all of the volunteers and organizers for putting on a great swim event!

Then last weekend was the King's Swim in Kona. Full results from the King's Swim are here. This swim is a 1.2 mile swim to the King's Buoy out in the pier. It was another beautiful, sunny day, but a little on the choppy side in the water. Again my goal was to come in under 40 minutes. This time I didn't quite get it, finishing in 40:39. The swim was a little tougher here, but the post-race party was amazing. Tons of baked goods that more than replaced the calories I worked off on the swim; tons of awards to 5-year age groups; and tons of raffle giveaways! I didn't win anything, but will definitely try again next year.

Overall, the swims were great experiences, but I still prefer running (good thing for my business!). Although maybe if I get faster I might enjoy the swims a little more. We'll see!

No comments:

Post a Comment