Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Finally Some Success Fishing

Since I've been over here on the Big Island, I've spent quite a bit of time shore fishing. I considered myself a pretty good fisherman back on the mainland, but fishing out here is a whole new ballgame. My first three fishing trips resulted in a total of one fish that was a puny little guy about 4 inches long--not much bigger than the bait he went for, so he definitely gets points for effort! Today, I was finally able to get a couple of decent fish.

Here's a picture on the way into the spot I've been trying:

And a crab molt out on the lava:

I think that the first fish that I caught was some kind of wrasse, but I'm not sure on the specific identification. He put up a decent fight, but I was able to keep him from getting tangled up in the reef. Check out the front teeth on this guy!

Here he his next to my size 10 slipper to give some perspective on size:

The next fish I caught was a pinktail triggerfish--not too hard to identify this one. It put up a great fight. I was surprised to see how relatively small it was when I got it in because the way it was pulling at first, I thought I had a much bigger fish.

These triggerfish have a face only a mother could love:

Lucky for these two fish that I haven't yet moved to the cleaning and cooking phase of my Hawaiian fishing education, so it was strictly catch and release today. The trigger was probably too small to eat, but the wrasse was a definite candidate for a couple of nice fillets on my grill.

I'll leave you with a couple more photos from my new favorite fishing spot, the first looking north:

and the second looking south:

No comments:

Post a Comment